This article was Written By
Our Product Research TeamGreat-sounding Conga with Eye-catching Looks
Effortlessly navigate through rumba, Afro-Cuban jazz, salsa, merengue, or Latin rock with the Marathon Designer Series Conga from Meinl. This excellent drum is constructed of two-ply Siam oak, is equipped with a true skin buffalo drumhead, and exhibits excellent sound projection. Mechanical tuning keeps you sounding your best and black powder-coated hardware and appliqué graphics offer distinctive, eye-catching looks. Meinl's Steely II Conga Stand is included.Conga playing techniques
The drummers here at Sweetwater have played just about every kind of percussion instrument out there, so they know a thing or two about the conga. To get the most out of your conga, you'll want to master the five basic strokes:
Open Tone (tono abierto) Play the drum with four fingers near the rim. This creates a clear tone with a distinct pitch and tons of resonance.
Muffled Tone (tono ahogado) Strike the drum exactly like an open tone, but hold your fingers against the drumhead after striking it. This mutes the tone.
Bass Tone (tono bajo) Strike the drumhead with your full palm. This produces a low muted sound.
Dry Tone (tono seco) Strike the drum with a short, sharp slap. This creates a clear popping sound.
Touch Tone (toque de punta) The name says it all — touch your fingers or palm to the drumhead. Alternate between palm and finger touches in heel-toe fashion to create a drumroll-like sound.
- 12-1/2" tumba conga drum with great-looking high-gloss lacquer finish
- Constructed of 2-ply Siam oak and features a true skin buffalo drumhead
- Bottom of the barrel is protected by a rubber cover which is great for a variety of surfaces
- Black powder-coated hardware and appliqué graphics offer distinctive, eye-catching looks
- Includes stand, Conga Handle and Conga Saver, accessory pouch, tuning key, and tune-up oil